There probably aren’t a lot of people in the world who get excited about opening their monthly electric bill. The average cost of electricity has been steadily increasing for decades. In 2013, the average bill across the United States was around $110. That number has only gotten higher in recent years, and we know a lot of people who would be thrilled to only be paying $110 a month. If you dread opening that electric bill when it arrives, there is something you can do to lower it, and it starts with your appliances. We’ve been repairing and installing used appliances in the Chicago Heights area for more than 30 years, so we have plenty of experience in helping people find the best and most energy-efficient appliances for their homes.
How Much Energy Do Your Appliances Use?
The answer to this question depends on a lot of factors:
- How many appliances do you have in your home?
- How often are you using them?
- How old are your appliances?
- Do you perform regular maintenance?
A family of five is going to end up using their washer and dryer a lot more often. Someone who loves to cook is going to use a microwave oven and a slow cooker a lot more. So how much energy your appliances are using is going to depend on how much you are using them. On average, though, you can expect a bigger appliance like a dryer to cost you around a couple hundred dollars a year while a washer could be less than $50 a year to operate.
How Can You Lower Your Energy Costs?
You can spend less money on operating your appliances by choosing the right appliances in the first place. Here are a few tips that can help:
- Check the appliances energy rating before you buy. All appliances come with an Energy Star rating now. It’s a rating system that’s backed by the government to help consumers make smarter decisions about the appliances they purchase and their energy consumption. The labels will tell you how much energy the appliance will consume in an average year. The more stars, the more efficient the appliance and the less energy it will take to operate.
- Get your used appliances maintained regularly. Making sure your appliances are properly and regularly maintained can cut down on the amount of energy they consume trying to work. For instance, getting your dryer professionally maintained can help it continue to dry your clothes quickly instead of taking longer and longer over time. The longer it runs, the more you are paying for it to work. Maintenance can ensure that it’s working at peak performance.
- Replace your old appliances. That doesn’t mean you have to go out and buy the latest and greatest models. But it does mean that you should replace older models that aren’t doing their job efficiently, even if that is a used appliance that’s more energy efficient. Appliance manufacturers are working hard to ensure that their products are as energy efficient as possible because they know consumers are very conscious of their energy consumption. So even models that are a few years newer can offer more energy efficiency…meaning a lower energy bill for you.
Need Help Lowering Your Energy Costs?
Grance Appliance Repair can help you lower your monthly energy costs when it comes to operating your appliances. We offer appliance repair and maintenance services that can keep your old appliances running smoothly. We also have used appliances that have terrific energy star ratings so when you are ready to replace your old appliances, we have something that’s perfect for your home and your budget. Get in touch with our team today to schedule a service appointment or to browse through our used appliances selection!